Thursday, July 17, 2014

One Pot Wonder - Zucchini Mushroom Pasta

Life as a mother of 3 yr old twin boys and a full time teacher (plus a full time working husband) is busy!  Yes I know I am "off" during the summer but really I am not because then my job is a stay at home mom.  When it comes to feeding the family we don't have time to spend forever in the kitchen making meals.  Yes sometimes we like to have elaborate and labor intensive meals, but thats not very often.

A slower cooker/crock pot can be your best friend but I also discovered that a One Pot Wonder can be too!  There are many times I have tried a recipe from a magazine or from a website and honestly they can be hit or miss!!!

Besides the grill and my crock pot the Dutch Oven is my friend in the kitchen.  After surfing pint rest I noticed a new popular item people are pinning are some One Pot Wonders.  We love using fresh and seasonal ingredients when possible so the Zucchini Mushroom Pasta recipe I found on the blog Damn Delicious was the one to try. (The blog has other One Pot Wonder recipes to try!)

For the most part I followed the recipe except I slightly made some minor changes which you will see in my notes.  We all agreed we enjoyed this dish!!!


ONE POT ZUCCHINI MUSHROOM PASTA

My picture of isn't as spectacular as the one at Damn Delicious
INGREDIENTS

  • 1 pound spaghetti
  • 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 2 zucchini, thinly sliced and quartered
  • 2/3 cup peas (I used frozen since I the store I was at didn't have fresh)
  • 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (I ALWAYS have a large jar of minced in my fridge and I used more than it called for since I am a big garlic person)
  • 2 sprigs thyme (I used 3-4 sprigs)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan (I used more and its was a bag of shredded)
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • Grill pan chicken breast seasoned and then cut up (I added this) 
INSTRUCTIONS

  1. In a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat, combine spaghetti, mushrooms, zucchini, peas, garlic, thyme and 4 1/2 cups water; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
  2. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until pasta is cooked through and liquid has reduced, about 8-10 minutes. 
  3. Add chicken and then stir in Parmesan and heavy cream. (The chicken was my addition to the recipe)

My tweaks for next time:
  • My husband suggested using more of a blanked style chicken and more veggies 
  • The zucchini and peas (especially the zucchini) was over cooked and very squishy.  Next time i may wait a few minutes to add it
  • It was a lot of food (my son J did eat to helpings of it)
excuse the messy plate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on the Tales of One Woman's Dream blog are now DOFOLLOW. All comments are welcome, however, anonymous negative comments will be deleted. I will also not post any racist, sexist, or otherwise bigoted comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails